Calling all budding surfers and water babes!
There it is, the Flow rider.
As the back drop to our restaurant, it provides awesome visual entertainment for those visitors not taking part.
Flowboarding combines elements from not only surfing but also wakeboarding, skateboarding and snowboarding too.
This is going to be the most fun you've had in ages!
If you've never ridden before, no problem! Our Instructors and the soft membrane ride surface make the FlowRider a great way to learn to ride in a safe and controlled environment.
As seen on TV and experienced by many celebrities and personalities
- Check out new series 'The Indestructibles' on channel Dave, where radical risktakers Tim and Gendle take to the wave as practise for attempting to surf a Reliant Robin!
- You may also have recently seen us on the new CBBC series 'The Dengineers', where a young designer turned her hawaiian themed Den into a reality. But she needed all the help she could get by starting her surf shack journey on the Flowrider!
- As featured on A Question of Sport, where Matt Dawson and Phil Tufnell were battling it out on the waves for Super Saturday.
- Are you a Strictly fan? Well, Frankie and Kevin from Strictly Come Dancing 2014 chose the Flowrider to practise their surf skills ahead of their 'Surfing USA' themed Jive!
This session is great for your first experience or your 100th. Instructors are always on hand to make sure you have a great time. Inc. Wetsuits, boards & tuition.
Time to hit the waves! Try bodyboarding and surfing. Inc. Wetsuits, Boards & Instruction
You are able to take part if:
- You are ready to be challenged and have fun!
- If you over 107cm in height (you must be over 132cm to try stand up riding)
- You are active, participate in sports from time to time, and feel fit.
- You are not under medical supervision and your ability to move isn't restricted.
- You have no alcohol in your blood.
Special caution should be taken with:
- Back problems/disc problems
- Discloated shoulders in the past
- Freshly-stitched wounds
- Osteoporosis or similar bone illnesses
- Heart problems
If you are concerned about any of the above statements or need to let a member of staff know something it is important that you do this before booking. Visit our contact us page to get in touch.
- The Flowrider is an innovative piece of machinery that simulates a real wave in a contained environment.
- High-powered submersible pumps fire a constant 100,000 litre film of water to create the 10m wide perpetual sheet wave.
- The water is only a few inches deep and simply travels over the taught rubber membrane surface that acts as a cushion for any falls (much like a bouncy castle)
How long before my session do I need to arrive?
- Customers need to arrive 45 minutes before their session to check in, be briefed on safety and to get changed. Failure to do so may result in you missing your session.
What is the minimum age that you have to be to surf?
- The minimum age for surfing is 5 years old. We will not force anyone to take part in the activity but we will do everything we can to ensure all participants feel confident and at ease.
How long is a session?
- All FlowRider sessions last for 1 hour and in the public sessions there will be up to 12 people sharing the ride with you. The session works by each person taking turns on the ride. If you want to have less people riding with you you can privately hire the wave.
Is there a minimum height for taking part in a surfing experience?
- All participants must be a minimum of 107cm tall for bodyboarding and a minimum of 132cm to attempt stand up riding.
Is there a maximum size for taking part in a surfing experience?
- Our wetsuits go up to XXL. But if this won't fit you it doesn't mean you can't take part. People are more than welcome to wear a t-shirt and shorts. The reason we recommend a wetsuit is so that you don't get too cold. Also if you have your own you are more than welcome to bring it with you!
What equipment do we need?
- Twinwoods supplies the wetsuits and boards you need to ride the wave. There is no separate charge or hire fee for these. All you need to bring is your gift voucher or booking confirmation, swimwear, a towel and stuff to shower with.
Will I get wet?
- YES! The FlowRider is a water-based activity, so yes your hair will get wet!
Do I have to be able to swim?
- No. The water is only a few inches deep and travels over a taught membrane surface which acts to cushion any falls. There is no deep water involved.
Do I have to be able to surf?
- No. 75% of the people that come to our site have never been on a FlowRider or participated in any board-based watersports before. All of our sessions are run by our experienced instructors who take you through everything step by step to ensure you have fun!
Will there be anyone else surfing with me?
- Our standard FlowRider sessions last for 1 hour and there will be up to 12 people sharing the ride with you. If you want to have less people riding with you then hiring the ride privately gives you the flexibility to put from 1 to 24 people in a session. The session works by each person taking turns on the ride.
Can I wear glasses or contact lenses?
- Due to the speed of the water glasses are not permitted on the ride. Contact lenses are allowed although if they do fall out it is inevitable that they will be lost and non-returnable.
Is the water cold or chlorinated?
- The water is just like your local swimming pool. It is chemically chlorinated to keep it clean and safe for everyone. The water runs at approximately 24 degrees celsius.
Is there a viewing gallery/area?
- Yes. The Flowrider is situated at the heart of the site and overlooks the restaurant seating area so you can grab a bite to eat or coffee whilst you watch the sessions.
Will I have an instructor?
- All of our sessions, whether you have booked a place on a standard session or chosen to privately hire the wave, are run by one of our experienced instructors. They are there to guide you through your experience and to ensure the safety of all participants.
Can I leave my children and come back later?
- No. All under 18's must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Adults are not required to participate in the experience, they can simply spectate. Whilst taking part in the activity the instructors and staff control the environment, however there must be a responsible adult on hand.
Can I buy photos of my session?
- Whilst we do not take or sell photos from the surf session, you can buy a USB stick with your groups video footage on the day for only £12. Just ask a member of staff after your session.
- Spectators are welcome to take their own photographs from behind the safety barrier but are not permitted to be in the Flowrider vicinity at any time.
- You cannot take a camera on your flowrider session.