With our FlowRider here at Twinwoods Adventure, you can experience the thrill of catching a wave whatever the conditions.
You can do this through flowboarding – a fun and frenetic activity that’s perfect for a thrilling day out. Simulating real waves in a contained environment, our FlowRider uses pumps to fire a 10m-wide perpetual sheet wave during operation.
Mixing elements of snowboarding, surfing and skateboarding, the Flowrider continues to prove extremely popular with groups and individuals of all ages. Forming the backdrop to our restaurant, it provides awesome visual entertainment for those not taking part too.
Never ridden before? No problem. Our experienced instructors will provide you with all the guidance you need, to keep you perfectly safe. The FlowRider itself features a soft membrane base, making the ride extremely controlled.
Our FlowRider has enjoyed increased notoriety in recent times, thanks to TV coverage and multiple celebrity appearances.
There have been 3 appearances on the BBC:
- Matt Dawson and Phil Tufnell battled it out on the waves for A Question of Sport’s ‘Super Saturday’.
- On CBBC, a young designer started her Hawaiian journey on the FlowRider for ‘The Dengineers’.
- Fans of Strictly Come Dancing will have seen Frankie and Kevin use the FlowRider during the 2014 edition of the show. They used the facilities to practice ahead of their ‘Surfing USA’ jive.
Our flowboarding facilities also featured on Dave’s ‘The Indestructibles’. Radical risk-takers Tim and Gendle took to the waves as practice for their attempts to surf a Reliant Robin.
A perfect session for beginners and seasoned flowboarders under 16 or with an NUS card. With instructors readily on-hand, you can simply focus on having a great time. This package includes the use of wetsuits and boards. You’ll also benefit from our expert tuition. Sessions last for one hour.
You are able to take part if:
- You are ready to be challenged and have fun!
- If you over 107cm in height (you must be over 132cm to try stand up riding)
- You are active, participate in sports from time to time, and feel fit.
- You are not under medical supervision and your ability to move isn't restricted.
- You have no alcohol in your blood.
Special caution should be taken with:
- Back problems/disc problems
- Discloated shoulders in the past
- Freshly-stitched wounds
- Osteoporosis or similar bone illnesses
- Heart problems
If you are concerned about any of the above statements or need to let a member of staff know something it is important that you do this before booking. Visit our contact us page to get in touch.
- The Flowrider is an innovative piece of machinery that simulates a real wave in a contained environment.
- High-powered submersible pumps fire a constant 100,000 litre film of water to create the 10m wide perpetual sheet wave.
- The water is only a few inches deep and simply travels over the taught rubber membrane surface that acts as a cushion for any falls (much like a bouncy castle)
How long before my session do I need to arrive?
- Customers need to arrive 45 minutes before their session to check in, be briefed on safety and to get changed. Failure to do so may result in you missing your session.
What is the minimum age that you have to be to surf?
- The minimum age for surfing is 5 years old. We will not force anyone to take part in the activity but we will do everything we can to ensure all participants feel confident and at ease.
How long is a session?
- All FlowRider sessions last for 1 hour and in the public sessions there will be up to 12 people sharing the ride with you. The session works by each person taking turns on the ride. If you want to have less people riding with you you can privately hire the wave.
Is there a minimum height for taking part in a surfing experience?
- All participants must be a minimum of 107cm tall for bodyboarding and a minimum of 132cm to attempt stand up riding.
Is there a maximum size for taking part in a surfing experience?
- Our wetsuits go up to XXL. But if this won't fit you it doesn't mean you can't take part. People are more than welcome to wear a t-shirt and shorts. The reason we recommend a wetsuit is so that you don't get too cold. Also if you have your own you are more than welcome to bring it with you!
What equipment do we need?
- Twinwoods supplies the wetsuits and boards you need to ride the wave. There is no separate charge or hire fee for these. All you need to bring is your gift voucher or booking confirmation, swimwear, a towel and stuff to shower with.
Will I get wet?
- YES! The FlowRider is a water-based activity, so yes your hair will get wet!
Do I have to be able to swim?
- No. The water is only a few inches deep and travels over a taught membrane surface which acts to cushion any falls. There is no deep water involved.
Do I have to be able to surf?
- No. 75% of the people that come to our site have never been on a FlowRider or participated in any board-based watersports before. All of our sessions are run by our experienced instructors who take you through everything step by step to ensure you have fun!
Will there be anyone else surfing with me?
- Our standard FlowRider sessions last for 1 hour and there will be up to 12 people sharing the ride with you. If you want to have less people riding with you then hiring the ride privately gives you the flexibility to put from 1 to 24 people in a session. The session works by each person taking turns on the ride.
Can I wear glasses or contact lenses?
- Due to the speed of the water glasses are not permitted on the ride. Contact lenses are allowed although if they do fall out it is inevitable that they will be lost and non-returnable.
Is the water cold or chlorinated?
- The water is just like your local swimming pool. It is chemically chlorinated to keep it clean and safe for everyone. The water runs at approximately 24 degrees celsius.
Is there a viewing gallery/area?
- Yes. The Flowrider is situated at the heart of the site and overlooks the restaurant seating area so you can grab a bite to eat or coffee whilst you watch the sessions.
Will I have an instructor?
- All of our sessions, whether you have booked a place on a standard session or chosen to privately hire the wave, are run by one of our experienced instructors. They are there to guide you through your experience and to ensure the safety of all participants.
Can I leave my children and come back later?
- No. All under 18's must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Adults are not required to participate in the experience, they can simply spectate. Whilst taking part in the activity the instructors and staff control the environment, however there must be a responsible adult on hand.
Can I buy photos of my session?
- Whilst we do not take or sell photos from the surf session, you can buy a USB stick with your groups video footage on the day for only £12. Just ask a member of staff after your session.
- Spectators are welcome to take their own photographs from behind the safety barrier but are not permitted to be in the Flowrider vicinity at any time.
- You cannot take a camera on your flowrider session.