Calling all budding surfers and water babes!
There it is, the Flow rider.
As the back drop to our restaurant, it provides awesome visual entertainment for those visitors not taking part.
Flowboarding combines elements from not only surfing but also wakeboarding, skateboarding and snowboarding too.
This is going to be the most fun you've had in ages!
If you've never ridden before, no problem! Our Instructors and the soft membrane ride surface make the FlowRider a great way to learn to ride in a safe and controlled environment.
As seen on TV and experienced by many celebrities and personalities
- Check out new series 'The Indestructibles' on channel Dave, where radical risktakers Tim and Gendle take to the wave as practise for attempting to surf a Reliant Robin!
- You may also have recently seen us on the new CBBC series 'The Dengineers', where a young designer turned her hawaiian themed Den into a reality. But she needed all the help she could get by starting her surf shack journey on the Flowrider!
- As featured on A Question of Sport, where Matt Dawson and Phil Tufnell were battling it out on the waves for Super Saturday.
- Are you a Strictly fan? Well, Frankie and Kevin from Strictly Come Dancing 2014 chose the Flowrider to practise their surf skills ahead of their 'Surfing USA' themed Jive!
This session is great for your first experience or your 100th. Instructors are always on hand to make sure you have a great time. Inc. Wetsuits, boards & tuition.
Time to hit the waves! Try bodyboarding and surfing. Inc. Westuits, Boards & Instruction
You are ready to take on your experience if:
- You are ready to be challenged and have fun!
- You are active or do sports from time to time, and feel fit.
- You are not under medical supervision at present, and your ability to move is not restricted.
- You have no alcohol in your blood.
Special caution should be taken with:
- Back problems/disc problems
- Discloated shoulders in the past
- Freshly stitched wounds
- Osteoporosis or similar bone illnesses
- Heart problems
- Pregnancy (including during the first few months)
- If you are under 132cm then you will not be able to try stand up riding
- If you are under 107cm then you will not be able to bodyboard
If you are concerned about any of the above statements or need to let a member of staff know something it is important that you do this before booking. Visit our contact us page to get in touch.
- The Flowrider is an innovative piece of machinery which simulates a real wave in a contained environment.
- High-powered submersible pumps fire a constant 100,000 litre film of water to create the 10m wide perpetual sheet wave.
- The water itself is only a few inches deep and simply travels over the taught rubber membrane surface that acts as a cushion for any falls (much like a bouncy castle)
How long before my session do I need to arrive?
- Customers need to arrive on site 45 minutes before their session for check in, safety briefings and changing time. Failure to do this may result in you missing your session.
What is the minimum age that you have to be to surf?
- The minimum age for surfing is 5 years old. We will not force anyone to take part in the activity but will do everything we can to ensure all participants feel confident and at ease.
How long is a session?
- All FlowRider sessions for 1 hour and on the public sessions there will be up to 12 people in total sharing the ride with you. If you want to have less people riding with you then there is an option to privately hire the wave as a party.
Is there a minimum height for taking part in a surfing experience?
- All participants must be a minimum of 107cm tall for bodyboarding and a minimum of 132cm for to attempt stand up riding.
Is there a maximum size for taking part in a surfing experience?
- Our wetsuits go up to XXL. But if this won't fit you it doesn't mean you can't take part. People are more than welcome to wear a t-shirt and shorts. The reason we recommend a wetsuit is so that you don't get too cold. Also if you have your own you are more than welcome to bring it with you!
What equipment do we need?
- Twinwoods supplies the wetsuits and boards you need to ride the wave. There is no separate charge or hire fee for these. All you need to bring is your gift voucher or booking confirmation, swimwear, a towel and stuff to shower with.
Will I get wet?
- YES! The FlowRider is a water based activity, so yes guys... your hair will get wet!
Do I have to be able to swim?
- No. The water is only a few inches deep and travels over a taught membrane surface which acts to cushion any falls. There is no deep water involved.
Do I have to be able to surf?
- No. 75% of the people that come to our site have never been on a FlowRider or done any board based watersports before. All of our sessions are run by our experienced instructors who take you through everything step by step to ensure you have the most amount of fun!
Will there be anyone else surfing with me?
- Our standard FlowRider sessions for 1 hour and there will be up to 12 people in total sharing the ride with you. If you want to have less people riding with you then hiring the ride privately gives you the flexibility to put from 1 to 24 people in a session. The session works by each person taking turns on the ride. We advise bodyboarding on your first session to get used to the wave and for the most amount of fun! If you wish to try stand up flowbaording you can request this from the instructor.
Can I wear glasses or contact lenses?
- Due to the speed of the water glasses are not permitted on the ride. Contact lenses are allowed although if they do fall out it is inevitable that they will be lost and non-returnable.
Is the water cold or chlorinated?
- The water is just like your local swimming pool. It is chemically chlorinated to keep it clean and safe for everyone. The water runs at approximately 24 degrees celsius.
Is there a viewing gallery/area?
- Yes. The Flowrider is situated at the heart of the site and overlooks the restaurant seating area so you can grab a bite to eat or coffee whilst you watch the sessions.
Will I have an instructor?
- All of our sessions, whether you have booked a place on a standard session or chosen to privately hire the wave, are run with one of our experienced instructors. They are there to guide you through your experience and of course to ensure the safety of all participants.
Can I leave my children and come back later?
- No. We ask that all under 18's are accompanied by an adult at all times. Adults are not required to participate in the experience with the under 18, they can simply just be a spectator. Although whilst taking part in the activity, the instructors and staff will control the environment, there must be a responsible adult on hand.
Can I buy photos of my session?
- Whilst we do not take or sell photos from the surf session, you can buy a USB stick with your groups video footage on the day for only £12. Just ask a member of staff after your session.
- Spectators are welcome to take their own photographs from behind the safety barrier but are not permitted to be in the Flowrider vacinity at any time.
- You cannot take a camera up onto your flowrider session.